Dear Sixteen Year Old Jessica | Blogtember Challenge


Dear sixteen year old Jessica,

Twenty four year old Jessica here, wanting to lend you a few pointers on how to handle this crazy world you are in. I'd like to say things are looking good! Your cool makeup and clothes are TOTALLY winning [guy in the youth group whose identity is hidden for his protection]'s heart. You're doing fabulous. But I can't say that. You see, I lived through those days. And it may seem like a long shot now, but one day, he will mean nothing to you. You will have gone literally years without seeing him! It's sad, but it's true. So I really wish you would stop focusing your attention on him and find other things to do. Consume your time with hobbies! (You may be pretty good at photography, if ya wanna give it a try...just saying...)

If you would just take a step back from trying to impress boys and realize how awesome YOU are, this whole teenage experience would be soo much more enjoyable for you. 

Please, please, please stop caring what people say. [High school bully whose identity is hidden for her protection]'s harsh, cruel words mean nothing. Yeah, she's incredibly mean and the insults she makes hurt. They leave a mark on you for sure, but after 11th grade, you won't see her for years. You will see her after you graduate college and she will be working at Dollar General. True story. (Nothing against Dollar General employees. She just constantly insisted how far her life would go and how far mine wouldn't.) So please, don't listen to her and let her mean comments infiltrate your thoughts. You are so much better than that.

Well, I've lived through it...and I know that you chose to stay wrapped up in the "I'm going to be alone forever." mindset for quite a while. But at around 23, you will become a much more confident person and the little ol glass is gonna start looking a lot more full! 

You may not believe this, but you are going to go on to compete in 5k races!! Pretty crazy since at this point in time, the most active thing you do is complain when you get up to change channels since the remote is probably not working. Yep, I remember those days. Those universal remotes were a pain, huh? 

You are going to do some pretty exciting things, go on some really fun trips, and have some incredible adventures! You're also going to meet some fascinating people along the way.

My biggest word of advice: Don't be so concerned with what others think about you (especially boys...I know it's a struggle for you.) You are a great person and you are going to make it through. 

-Older (and a little bit wiser) Jessica

What would you tell the sixteen year old version of yourself?



5 comments

  1. This kind of posts remind me of how much of an adventure it is to grow up. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, this was really cool! Wasn't this on your 101 Things List, too? It's on mine, and I've been putting it off. Looks very therapeutic, though! You've inspired me to give it a try. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post! It was so personal, so I defiantly related to it and felt like you were writing to me at 16 years old! And, you're absolutely right about not being concerned with what others think about you! Other's peoples thought just brings so much negativity and stress! Definitely don't need any more stress at 16!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good! I wish we knew then what we know now, right? It would save a lot of heartbreak and sadness

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this. Oh goodness, if only our sixteen-year-old selves could actually read our letters to ourselves, huh? For a few moments I was confused because weren't you homeschooled through high school? So for a few moments I was picturing Jennifer being said bully, and it made me laugh, lol!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments mean a lot to me!