The Real Me vs. Online Me | Blogtember Challenge


Today's Blogtember prompt: Discussing the difference between who I am online and who I am in "real life".

Although my tumblr is full of only positive posts and happy things, my life is obviously not only comprised of happy moments. I think that's true of most people. I don't choose to, as they say, air out my dirty laundry online. I really only share funny things, happy things, or fun adventures on my Facebook.

I think my blog is definitely a more honest look at my life than the other forms of social media. I may blog about loneliness or certain struggles that I'm going through but I very rarely, if ever, post about those struggles on anything else. I will complain about them in person but I've reached a point in life where I am pretty content with things and my complaining has really decreased, for which I'm sure many people are thankful.

I'm, as I've mentioned countless times, an introvert. Online me can read blogs and communicate with my internet friends all day. Real me doesn't want to communicate with people all day. Social settings exhaust me. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy them. But a lot of times, I just want to drink my coffee at home with music and my laptop. I have no problem talking to people online and I think that's because you have time. You can think up a proper response. The other person isn't just staring at you, waiting for the next thing you have to say. I find that kinda scary at times.

I am definitely more free to discuss my faith, my interests, and my likes on the internet than in real life. It's funny because I have many great friends that I've met through blogging and we share so many interests. Most of my "real friends" and I have nothing in common. It's really stinking hard to meet people with common interests here in Alabama! As I mentioned in my previous post, none of my friends share my musical taste...well, they don't share many of my other tastes either. I do have one good close friend that I am beyond thankful to have. She even appreciates classic movies and it's really, really hard to find that! But my other friends feel more like acquaintances to me.

Well. This post made me rather depressed. Haha.

What about you? Do you feel like your online persona matches the real you?

2 comments

  1. Loved this. I could've written this post myself! ;-) I feel like you do, especially where you said you shared more about your faith online than in person (many don't even know I blog). Weird isn't it? I am trying to share and be more open about this with them, but it is difficult sometimes. Thank you for sharing this. It's comforting to know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So interesting to hear WHY an introvert would enjoy online friendships. I never thought about it that way... because I am not an introvert... well... not a true one. I'm that one that is both so I still love social settings too. :) And I like to talk... maybe too much lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments mean a lot to me!